Wednesday, July 11, 2012

This....and a whole lot more.

After such a long hiatus, it is time again to record, ramble, and vent the doings of how Mother Runner is going to get her stride back. 
JUST GO.
But, is it really that simple? Can one just open the door and go?
Can one just lace up, in my case velcro my Vibrams, and go? 
Is getting out the door truly the hardest part?
What does it take for a Mother Runner to gain strength, confidence, and fantastic paces again? Let alone fantastic legs?
Well, one things for sure...it is not just getting out the door, it is this and a whole lot more.
So for the non-runner, yes, you have been lied to. Many times. Running is not just you and a pair of your favorite Nikes. It is not the cheapest workout, at least not once you get good at it. It is not all love, peace, and buds in your ears.
For the beginner runner, you are either just realizing that you need so much more than your sneaks for your new hobby. Wait one tic, did she just call running a hobby? Oh, you betcha! You beginner runners must approach running as your new hobby if you want to progress in any fashion. Your running needs to be come a passion that unfolds and reveals new obstacles and challenges that you want to conquer. You will have no desire to conquer such feats with a workout. With a duty. But with a hobby, that you have a passion for, that is where the battle of conquering is won.
For the vets, you are reading this and chuckling along reminiscing about the days when getting out the front door was hard. When taking to long of a hiatus was the LAST thing you did in your running career, only to find unless a dog has chewed the foot off your leg, you would never stop running for any period of time unless that hiatus included Dr. orders of RICE.

So, getting out the door is hard. But it is on a long list of hard.
Motivation...HARD
Burning in chest...HARD
Chub rub...HARD
Sweat, everywhere...HARD
Sore legs...HARD
Time management...HARD
Lack of sleep...HARD
Planning...HARD
Training...HARD
Where will you start Crystal? You ask. For me, it all begins with a pencil and my running log book.
I will scour the beginning pages of my running log, looking for clues on how hard I should push myself that first week out. I will look for past experience to guide my jiggly, post-partum, drooping butt out that front door.
Yes, post partum. I wouldn't have taken such a long break from the one thing in life that brings me clarity, sanity, pleasure, pain, and great satisfaction for just anything, or anyone. But for that little guy, pictured oh so sweetly above, I would do anything. Including, but not limited too, gaining weight and putting my hobby on the back burner. I had visions of my pregnancy as a runner. A lean, pregnant runner. One of those runners you have no idea is pregnant until I turned sideways. Well, life can throw you a few curve balls here and there. In my pregnant adventure, I was sick. My last long run as a pregger  was 10 miles at 8 weeks pregnant, and I just had to throw in the towel (or throw it up) until 15 weeks along, where I felt great and decided to go for a run. Mid run, I did not end up feeling so great. My pace went from 9 mpm to 12...in just  few weeks. I was winded. I was tired. I was sore. I was not "that" pregnant runner I had always envisioned myself to be. So, I decided to grow a human instead.
Now, here I sit planning and considering my time management as I begin my running journey again, with one more mouth to feed. With one more time consumer. With one more distraction.
No one said it would be easy. In fact many said it would be hard. Thats ok. I embrace every detail in it. Hell, I'M IN!! And for those who do not know what that means, it mean I'm in the ING NYC Marathon 2013...theres motivation in that...at least I know it will get me out the front door...for now. Then, it will be my desire to remain sane, clear, happy, and of course sporting nice legs that will keep me crossing over the threshold.

No comments:

Post a Comment