Friday, December 31, 2010

You've Come a Long Way Baby.......Considering Your Start Line

Is it so sad that when I see this woman I want to be just like her? Is it so sad that she is 18 months older than myself, but looks 10 years younger? Is it so sad that she is 5'7" weighing in at 120? No not sad....INSPIRING. Her PR's consist of a HM 1:06:57 (if it had not been a downhill course, she would hold the record).....let's put that time into perspective for you. When I run 6 miles at LSD (no, not the drug...long slow distance) I run it at 11 mpm. She is doing more than twice that distance in the same amount of time. If I were to run a LSD at the local high school track with Kara Goucher running her fastest, I would be lapped twice as I was finishing my first lap. Her marathon time is 2:25:53, one most men drool over. Her time that is, well, her too. This woman is one to admire.
As I ponder my New Year's Resolutions, (yes I make them...and YES believe it or not, I keep them) I look to the people I aspire to be like. Spiritually I long to be like the apostle Paul. Mentally I desire to be like Gandhi. Physically, well Kara Goucher takes the cake. As far as achievements and making a mark, Deena Kastor....she has definitely achieved and left a mark.

Lets just say she is one helluva woman. She holds the following records:
  • Women's marathon (set when winning the 2006 Flora London Marathon with a time of 2:19:36)
  • Women's half marathon (set at the 2006 Berlin Half Marathon with a time of 1:07:34)
  • Women's road 15K (set at the 2003 Gate River Run in Jacksonville with a time of 47:15)
  • Women's road 8K (set at the 2005 The LaSalle Bank Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago with a time of 24:36)
  • Women's road 5K (set at the 2002 Carlsbad 5000 with a time of 14:54)
I mean can you even imagine running 26.2 miles and finishing it in 2:19:36? The length of a feature film (hopefully it is that long, considering how much you pay to get in).
While praying to be able to pray like Paul, I am in constant motion, moving forward, changing my mind and body into a physical, living machine. I mean why else would I be home on New Years Eve typing my blog just before tucking myself in? Well, I have goals, aspirations, and a long run tomorrow. I put into motion my goals and aspirations, and once they are in forward motion, they do not stop. I get one shot at this life, and I want to be excellent at it. I want to experience what this body can really do, even if it means there will be times I am bent over dry heaving because I have just done 8 half mile repeats so fast it feels as though my lungs are filled Clorox, and I am seeing black spots. Yeah, it really feels something like this when you really push yourself HARD
You see, I am an optimist. The glass is FULL, always. I always see the BRIGHTER side. I am a dreamer, and because I am, I am also an achiever. My New Years Resolutions are simple. Forgive as my Father forgives. Burn more calories than I take in. Run a sub 4:00:00 marathon. Run a sub 2:00:00 half marathon. Run a sub 26:00 5K.
My goals are attainable, yet challenging. I mean hey, I can bang out an 8 minute mile, not bad for an ex-smoker. I would have to say I have come a long way baby. From 45:00 5K's, to effortlessly holding conversation for 30:00 5K, I am looking forward to Tuesdays speed work, New Year, new 5K time.....26:00....SOOO attainable....considering my start line.

No comments:

Post a Comment