Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Punch the Dough, Then Let it Rest

I have never really been the type that is busy around the holidays. I generally stick to myself, buy my gifts, and attend the the "normal" holiday festivities. But this year I took a different approach. Not only am I running and sticking to my plan, I decided to do a lot of baking this year. As it turns out, my long runs fall on Saturdays and this year so did Christmas. Each year my little family has the tradition of eating orange iced cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning before we even think of opening gifts. But, in the light of being so health conscious this year, I decided that my family would have fresh home baked cinnamon rolls with home made orange icing for breakfast. Once I decided this, I took a look at the recipe realized that they take 35 minutes to prep, 50-70 minutes to rise, 15 minutes to rest, 10 more rising minutes, 30 minutes to bake, and then 10 minutes to cool. During the first rise, I will run.
Here is where I mention after planning out my entire morning, I had to awaken at 4:45a.m. to dress for my run outdoors (the gym is closed on Christmas), and then begin by 5:00a.m. the prepping of the rolls. I planned it so that I would be out the door by 6:00a.m. to do 5-6  miles and be back in time to punch the dough, let it rest, and while it rests, shower. And that is exactly what I did. 
As I got the satellites to acquire, I head off in the dark quiet morning. The difference in this run from EVERY other run I have done in the last 2 years is this run is accompanied by The Black Eyed Peas, Luda, and Eminem. What is so different about that? Well, I have not listened to music whilst running in 2 years. I decided to this when I started running, so that I could listen to my body, and follow how my body responds to the elements and the amount of stress I put it under. I have since learned exactly how my body responds, and know myself better then ever. So, I decided to run Christmas morning, with some beats.
This run was amazing. I was able to keep my HR avg to 154 bpm, and my pace was 11'29" which is exactly what I wanted. I maintained zone 2 the entire run. I felt amazing, and was so happy to have the BEP's back in my ears, reppin' it. After 6.1 miles I arrived in time to shed my outer layer and punch the dough.
The rolls turned out brilliant. Christmas went off without a hitch, my pumpkin pie I baked later on in the day was delish, and the fudge was a daunting task....but also delish.
I think the best part about the day was knowing I got my long run in when most were sleeping, or wishing they were while their kids are begging to rip open their presents. I was running while most were still wearing out their sheets. I was wearing out my sneakers. The one thing I love to watch deteriorate because it tells me I am doing something right. I am punching the dough so that it can rest.....Yes, I am the dough, and I did rest later that day with a belly full of rolls and fudge.

No comments:

Post a Comment